Friday, June 12, 2015

jeopardy


Summer '95 in Tallahassee -
driving winding roads
in an 85 Hyundai
with no A/C
and I wear the black pants
and white button down
of the movie theater
concession-stander
in jeopardy of heat stroke.
The concessioneer's uniform 
making no concession
for the sultry soul-sapping
100 degrees.
A service job which did not serve
but for beer money.
The reward of
paltry paycheck,
stale popcorn,
and free films
mitigated by sorry selection.
The main attraction,
three theaters full,
mightily making parents aplenty
miss morphine.
And one tiny screen
with only late screening
for the rom-com.
And there would I
disappear.
Melt into the seats
and glorious anonimity
and fade into the flickering:
Kevin Kline
in black jeans
sporting a faux French accent
which made my 18yr old
cœur sing avec each "Oui, le je-o-par-dee"
et "Oui, BAAAAAB."
I'd giggle with each crinkle 
of Meg Ryan's button nose
and believe, in my 18yr old cœur,
that I was learning what love could be.
A vineyard on a hillside in France
with a man who holds your hand.
(I still think it could be.)

No comments:

Post a Comment