Saturday, June 20, 2015

hobbit

the world outside seemed dark
and dim and full of human terrors
into the pages I would fall
retreating from my errors
my timid self
would hide away
where elves and hobbits
saved the day
and in the schoolyard
I was found
behind a tree
sat on the ground
hid in a book no taunts could pierce
through my defensive wall
I did not hear the cruelest jibes
over the battle call
of Ents and orcs and sorcerers
and dwarves and goblins too
and talking lions, fencing rats
and knights and maidens true
in fantasy my head could be
apart from daily trouble
no math homework, no words misspoke
no awkward social muddle
a safe retreat
with daring feats
of triumphant bravery
where I could hide inside my head
from trials unsavory
disbelief suspended here
where courage always conquered fear
through characters who overcame
I learned in life to do the same
those authors gave me armor
and I wore it all the time
and so offer up my gratitude
within this simple rhyme








No comments:

Post a Comment