Wednesday, November 18, 2015

onomastics

Lover's Tale

they lived in the land of nicknames
of "darling"s and "baby"s galore
these endearments endearing delighted
back when the whole thing was requited

their given names given a backseat
to sweetnesses only for two
onomastics love had then banished
at least until love then had vanished

that's how they then knew it was over
when formal their sentences ran
vocabulary changed
when they were estranged
no more with "my dear"
but only plain "here"
when the "lovely"s were gone
they knew it was wrong

now over and done
of nicknames they've none
but epithets not fit to print
if that gives you a sort of a hint

sadly, so often it's thus
but don't worry, my darling,
my lovely, my dear,
that could never,
no, never,
I promise not ever,
that could never
happen to us



No comments:

Post a Comment